Friday, January 16, 2009

The Newest Murray

Meet Trudy! (Short for Gertrude, thanks Papa Murray) She's our baby basset hound puppy and she is the coolest dog ever! (Good Christmas present, huh? Thanks Carl!) I always wanted a Westie puppy... I have always loved our westies dearly and have very fond memories of them, but when I met a basset puppy I absolutely fell in love. How could you not? Those floppy ears, those droopy eyes, those baseball mitt paws, the clumsiness, the appearance they are s/p gastric bypass and have all kinds of loose skin hanging places... they're awesome! Here are some pictures of our little lady.

These are Trudy's newest buddies, Harry and Heidi Coburn. They had a New Years Eve dog party while we hung out with their mom and dad and the Strattons. It was quite a rumpus!







Here she is in one of my favorite pics. I love it how when her ears can catch the wind it seems she can take off and fly at any moment!








Trudy and Dad are really good at naps. It is definitely one of their favorite things to do together. Problem is, Carl sleeps so soundly he doesn't wake up when Trudy is tromping all over his chest to signify she needs to go outside... you can probably guess what happens next...






Here we are playing outside on the first day we got her. We bonded instantaneously and now she follows us around everywhere we go just like a shadow.


I have already learned so much having her. I'll compile a list of what I've learned so far for those that are thinking about getting a basset, or puppy in general. I'm sure this list will lengthen soon.


1. Puppies can get a bacterial infection called giardia if they are taken away from their moms too soon.
2. Antibiotics flavored with angus beef are equivalent to puppy treats or table scraps in Trudy's book.
3. Puppies eat underwear.
4. Puppies pee a lot.
5. One day she'll learn to use her tinkle bell that Mabel introduced her to.
6. Bassets are needy, but they're the most loving and cuddly puppies ever.
7. Trudy's presence means Carl and I watch less TV, which is such a good thing.
8. Life is more rewarding and full with a puppy in it.

No comments: